Friday, May 25, 2007

Jennifer/Mom - My Mom's Birthday

Today is my mom's birthday. I have never in conscious memory nor do I think I will ever forget my mother's birthday. I have an Aunt who uses the following to remember the date..."Your mother's birthday is Christmas Day in May". There is a host of reasons I won't ever forget her birthday most of them are not all that pleasant so I won't recount them here. Suffice it to say that the quality of my birthday was directly correlated to the quality of my mother's. Besides the multitude of other reasons it is also memorable because of the one-on-one I had with Elder Oaks.

Anyway, I digress...

My relationship with my mother is very convoluted. I don't know that I can even explain it. I guess the best I can do is to say that even though there has been so much pain involved in our relationship, I still have this longing to be able to call her up and share what's going on in my life. At this point I realize though that I don't think it is even possible for me to ever have the relationship I would want with my mom and so that makes this day, my mom's birthday, kind of a sad day for me.

No comments: